I could not believe this when I first read about this, but hear it is…

A unit of the United States  Department of Defense has been holding so-called “arrival ceremonies” for seven years, with an honor guard carrying flag-draped coffins off of a cargo plane as though they held the remains of missing American service men and women returning, that day, from old battlefields.

After NBC News raised questions about the arrival ceremonies, the Pentagon acknowledged Wednesday that no honored dead were in fact arriving, and that the planes used in the ceremonies often couldn’t even fly, but were towed into position.

The solemn ceremonies at a military base in Hawaii are a sign of the nation’s commitment to returning and identifying its fallen warriors.  The ceremonies have been attended by veterans and families of MIAs, led to believe that they were witnessing the return of Americans killed in World War II, Vietnam, and Korea.

The ceremonies also have been known, at least among some of the military and civilian staff at this base, as The Big Lie.

Photos behind the scenes show that the flag-draped boxes had not just arrived on military planes, but ended their day where they begin, which is at the same lab where the human remains have been waiting for analysis.

The Pentagon insisted that the flag-draped cases do contain human remains recently recovered, just not ones that arrived that day.  It said its staff “treat the remains with the utmost of care, attention, integrity, and above all, honor.”  The Pentagon statement did not explain why the rituals were called “arrival ceremonies” if no one was arriving, or why the public had been told that remains removed that morning from the lab were about to go to the lab to “begin the identification process.”

From now on, the Pentagon said, the ceremonies will be re-branded as “honors ceremonies,” expressly described as symbolic honors for bodies previously recovered.

Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command (JPAC), whose mission it is to return and identify the 83,000 missing service men and women from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.  The agency is identifying the dead at a rate of fewer than 80 per year, at a cost of more than $1 million per identification. Bodies now wait in the JPAC lab an average of 11 years before being identified, according to an internal report released this year.

What the audience sees:

Here’s what the public has seen at the ceremonies, usually held about four times a year.

A C-17 military transport aircraft was parked, its ramp down, outside hangar 35 at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.  At precisely 9 a.m., after generals and other dignitaries were introduced, a military chaplain offered a prayer, the audience sang “The Star-Spangled Banner,” and a Marine bugler played “Taps.”  Then a military honor guard in dress uniforms carried flag-draped transfer cases, which look like coffins, down the ramp and across in front of the audience.  The cases were placed in the back of blue buses and driven away.

The emcee, reading from an official script, thanked the audience for “welcoming them home.”  The script continued, “After removal from the aircraft, the remains will be taken to the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command’s Central Identification Laboratory.  There, JPAC scientists will begin the identification process.”

The Defense Department has used the arrival ceremonies as publicity tools, posting videos of the “arrival” on its website, on YouTube and on Facebook.

A video posted online by the Department of Defense shows the JPAC “arrival ceremony” of Vietnam and World War II vets at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii on December 9, 2011.  Similar videos have been posted throughout the past seven years.  The Pentagon has acknowledged that no one was actually arriving at any of the ceremonies, and that the planes they were carried from often could not fly.  The Pentagon said its script for the ceremonies had been “misinterpreted.”

A peek backstage:
Here’s what actually happened, according to eyewitness accounts and photographs taken behind the scenes at one of the ceremonies.

Before 6 a.m., the members of the honor guard assembled at the loading dock behind the JPAC headquarters on the base.  They loaded the transfer cases, which had been stacked outside the door to the lab, and the buses drove to the hangar.

The C-17 had been towed into position outside hangar 35.  The honor guard loaded the transfer cases into the belly of the plane, and then practiced walking them through the empty hangar.  Then the honor guard returned to the plane, and waited.

At nearly 9 a.m., the public was allowed in: invited politicians, media, families of the missing and veterans.  Employees from JPAC were bused over to fill out the crowd.

Then the show began, with tears and salutes as the remains were marched to the buses, then driven off to the lab to “begin the identification process.”

A very pissed-off citizen:

Jesse Baker, an 81-year-old Air Force veteran of World War II and Korea living in Honolulu, said he has been to more than 50 of these ceremonies.  He said that he’s always been under the impression that the plane had just arrived carrying recovered remains.  “If I have been fooled, I am going to be a very pissed-off citizen, because I’ve been going for years,” Baker said.  “And I know a lot of guys who are going to be pissed off. … They’re out there honoring warriors.”

Baker tried to make sense of why America’s Department of Defense would work so hard to trick him and other veterans.  “That’s disturbing.  I don’t know when they stopped being honest and switched over to this Mickey Mouse, but whoever did it, I hope they find him a new job somewhere.”

One leading figure in the MIA/POW field said she has known for years about the charade.  The head of the largest group of families of missing service men and women, Ann Mills-Griffiths, is a staunch defender of JPAC, but she says that she has warned Pentagon officials and JPAC repeatedly that they should stop holding “those phony arrival ceremonies.”

But Mills-Griffiths, the chairman of the National League of POW/MIA Families, said she had never told any family members that the ceremonies were phony, because she supported JPAC’s mission, just not the way it was carrying it out.

Static aircraft:

On Wednesday, the Pentagon acknowledged that the airplanes were often towed out of maintenance hangars for the ceremonies and could not have just flown in.  “Many times, static aircraft are used for the ceremonies, as operational requirements dictate flight schedules and aircraft availability.”

The Pentagon said its own words, used since 2006, had led to the ceremonies being “misinterpreted” as arrivals.  “Based on how media announcements and ceremony remarks are currently written, it is understandable how these ‘arrival’ ceremonies might be misinterpreted, leading one to believe the ceremonies are ‘dignified transfer ceremonies,’ which they are not.”  They went on to add that the Pentagon is reviewing its procedures and is committed to conducting all recovery operations honorably.

Current and former JPAC employees said that the emcee often announces that the remains were from specific countries where JPAC staff had not recently recovered remains.  The Pentagon statement said that the correct country is always announced, but that it may have been a few months since the remains were recovered.  And occasionally, it said, there has been no JPAC mission to a country, but the remains have been turned over by those countries and are still deserving of a “symbolic tribute.”

Acutely dysfunctional:

After NBC News requested permission to attend an arrival ceremony in July, JPAC canceled the ceremony.  It hasn’t held any ceremonies since April, scheduling and canceling them repeatedly.

The Pentagon spokesperson said the commander of JPAC, Army Maj. Gen. Kelly K. McKeague, authorized in April the renaming of the ceremonies “to more accurately reflect the purpose of these events.”  However, public affairs staff at JPAC, which organized the events, continued to call them “arrival ceremonies” on into the summer, and until Wednesday they were still identified that way on the agency’s website.  (That page of the JPAC website was renamed to “honors ceremonies” on Wednesday.)  The Pentagon would not answer when asked when Gen. McKeague and other military officers became aware that the public was being misled.

Several investigations of JPAC are under way, in Congress and inside the Pentagon, and an internal report called the agency “acutely dysfunctional.”

This fraud is not only the so called arrival ceremonies, but can we even trust the military’s identification procedures?  An eleven year wait for identification is not only wrong…it is obscene!  Where is the closure for the families of our fallen heroes?  I am disgusted and ashamed.